Jerusalem Archaeological Park
The Date of the Building

The Dome of the Rock, Arabic Qubbat al-Sakhra, was constructed atop the Temple Mount, around the rock (the Foundation Stone) where, according to Muslim tradition, Isaac was sacrificed by Abraham. From this holy rock Muhammad ascended to heaven (Mi'raj) after his nocturnal journey from Mecca to Jerusalem (Al-Isra').

Richmond 1924
The Dome of the Rock, built by the caliph Abd al-Malik (685-705 CE), was completed in the year 691 CE. This is confirmed by the inscription still intact, surmounting the cornice of the octagonal colonnade supporting the great dome: “Hath built this dome the servant of Allah Abdallah the Imam Al-Mamun commander of the faithful dal malik c […] in the year two and seventy—Allah accept of him” (the italiciced letters mark the later forging of the inscrption during the Fatimid period)
The inscription, in Kufic script on yellow and blue tiles, is dated to 691 CE, (AH 72), the year of the Shrine's consecration. Some of the tileshad been replaced long after the construction of the building by the Abbasid caliph Al-Mamun (813-833 CE - AH 198-218 ). The newer tiles are easily recognizable as they are of darker hue than the original ones.
Back to top